Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Chapter Six, Wherein She Takes Her First Lesson (Oh, Alright, It Was Online)

After my adventure on Saturday, I started thinking that it was time to get some real guitar instruction. First of all, I seriously coveted Paul's ability to finger-pick and realized that, at the rate I was going, I wasn't going to learn that fancy-pants stuff . . . like, ever.

Secondly, and no offense to Dylan or Emmylou, I was getting sick of my tripartite playlist: Tangled Up in Blue, The Maker and Where Will I Be. Every night, that's what I was playing, pretty much in that order--and, oddly, I seemed to be getting worse at all three the more I played them.

Paul had given me the card of someone named Anthony, who apparently gives lessons and is fabulous. (His website scares me, though.) I also have a friend from the Shambhala Center named Brian who teaches, and is the nicest human being ever. So I got options, baby.

But last night, at around 9pm, neither Anthony nor Brian was in my apartment. So I did what any 21st Century Guitar Girl would do: I went online.

Lo and behold, About.com has a neat little series of (the most basic of basic) lessons for guitar. By which I mean they can teach you G, C and D--and then give you a set of songs that you can play all the way through just using these chords. I know my D chord well, but the G/C alternation proved somewhat tricky for me.

(Hey, I heard that snicker, you. Yes, I know that G and C are probably the two most-often-used chords in guitar playing, and the fact that I was having trouble with them tells you how much of a neophyte I am at the moment. But someday--someday!! Lay off, now.)

So that is how, at 9:45 last night, I found myself strumming away at Leaving On a Jet Plane and Brown-Eyed Girl.

Sigh. Even I feel sorry for my neighbors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home