Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Wherein She Practices Until Her Fretting Hand Looks Like a Crab's Claw

That C-to-G and G-to-C chord maneuver is killing me. First of all, there are no "reference" fingers between those two chords--i.e., you can't say "the middle finger stays in place while the other two move." It's all three fingers moving at the same time, from here to here.

When your fingers aren't yet strong and/or used to these positions, practicing this maneuver can result in severe cramping of the fingers. Last night I was practicing my two new favorite songs and when I'd get to the end I'd have to literally shake the cramps out of my hands.

All this complaining is, however, for naught. The truth is that I'm thrilled to have these chords in my ever-growing repertoire. I can now play, in theory at least, the chords for one of the songs that made me want to learn how to play guitar in the first place--Following My Compass by Kristen Hall. Not that I have the dexterity or rhythm to make the song sound, well, like a song. But that will come in due time, my friends. In due time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home