Sunday, March 13, 2005

Wherein She Relates the Good News

The fact that I haven't written in over a month notwithstanding, the Go Go Guitar Girl is making definite progress on her goal of learning to play guitar by the time she is 30.

Yes, I'm still practicing regularly and have increased my repertoire to include such timeless classics as:

American Pie
Jack & Diane
Mary Jane's Last Dance (though this one sounds pretty crappy without accompaniment on the harmonica, and I'm just not badass enough to play that....yet)

Other evidence of improvement:

1) I took my guitar on vacation (to New Hampshire);
2) I have learned a little minute-long blues riff that sounds pretty darn good;
3) I'm working on several new and innovative strumming patterns;
4) I'm memorizing the notes on the 5th and 6th strings;
5) I'm doing all of this without ever taking a real live lesson.

It doesn't look like I'm going to be taking a lesson anytime soon, in fact. I gave up trying to set one up with Bryan a month back because my schedule was so hectic. And just this afternoon I ran into him at the Shambhala Center and found out that his studio hours are limited to weekday afternoons, which, alas, are far from convenient. So if I want to get instruction I think I'm going to have to forge new alliances.

But who needs paid lessons when you've got About.com? Honestly, I'm learning a ton from that little site and I haven't shelled out a dime for it. Behold the power of annoying banner advertising.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At last! You are no longer allowed to use the word "wherein" on this site - it's a trigger for my frustration. So can you load an audio clip of that blues riff m'dear?

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home