Sunday, June 12, 2005

In Which She Writes Her First Song

That's right, my two friends who read this, I took a giant leap today and wrote my first song. I hesitate to call it a classic-in-the-making, but it's a giant leap for me. I can now officially bill myself as a "singer/songwriter." I also have something to do with my guitar when I get sick of playing the songs I already know--I can write new ones!

Okay, so it's a bit rhyme-y rhyme-y, and the lyrics aren't, like, groundbreaking or anything. (If, for example, it were a book, and it were on submission to me, I would reject it out of hand.) But I'm cutting myself some slack on this one. It's my first song ever, written in one afternoon, and for that it ain't half bad. It's a full-on song, after all, with a chorus and a bridge and an opener and a closer. It's already playable, too, as evidenced by the fact that I played it tonight for WJ who came over for dinner to help me reduce the obscene beer content in my fridge.

The song is called Wait, and it's coming soon to a Brooklyn garden party near you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring it soon to a DC porch party near me!!!!!

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, I found your blog looking for a tab of the guitar solo on Gillian Welch's "Everything is Free". You have good taste in music, keep playing it.

Dan
dbarton@grayflycatcher.org

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 friends! 3!

V.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home