Sunday, June 12, 2005

Wherein She Plays Her First Concert

As SL pointed out to me last night, I have yet to announce to my Go Go Guitar Girl audience the enormous fact that I have now officially played my first concert. This revelation is late, as in the time that I've been keeping this secret I went on to play Concert #2. But that does not diminish the enormity of meaning behind Concert #1, which took place in my very own backyard at my Memorial Day BBQ.

I sang Nashville, Closer to Fine, Romeo & Juliet and Land of Caanan by the Indigo Girls, as well as old favorites like Brown Eyed Girl, Leavin' on a Jetplane and several (but not all six) verses of American Pie.

I was shaking with fear and happiness. It was one of the highlights of my life, I think.

So last night was Concert #2, on the occasion of the gathering of my friends to visit the annual St. Paola di Francesca carnival in the elementary school parking lot a block from my house. I sang two songs I'd recently learned, Carolina In My Mind by James Taylor and A Campfire Song by 10,000 Maniacs. Later, by request, I reprised Leavin' On A Jetplane and tried my hand at Jack & Diane. AP was there too, and he tore the house down with Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi. The others sang along between bites of deep-fried oreo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home