Saturday, October 15, 2005

In Which Bob Makes a Joke

I just have to share this. Bob and I were working on my Circle of Fourths, which is basically a torture tool he uses to keep his students in line. Er, and to teach his students their key signatures. But anyway. So when you're learning music theory there are tons of things you have to memorize. For example, you have to remember that most guitars are tuned to EADGBE. The way you remember such a thing is to make up a sentence--in the case of the guitar strings, it's Every Adult Dog Growls, Barks, Eats.

So Bob is teaching me the sentence for remembering the order of the sharps when you're writing sharp key signatures. And the order is FCGDAE. So the sentence is "Frank Cuts Grass During An Evening." "But," Bob said, "you can always come up with your own sentence. Let's come up with a better sentence." So we sit silently, our little brains working. I'm feeling all sorts of pressure to come up with a better, funnier, more relevant sentence. And naturally, I am drawing a complete blank. It's clear I have to say something, but I can't think what. So I squeak out, "Frank Cuts Grass, Dave Ate Eggs?" And without missing a beat, Bob nods earnestly and says, "That really rings true for me. I can almost taste the eggs."

OMG, I was dying of laughter. Bob makes Mondays fun!

1 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Every Acid Dealer Gets Busted Eventually.

I love that one.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home